What is a Discursive Essay: Meaning and Definition
Discursive essay is another kind of academic papers, which is used to check the students’ skills and knowledge. Its main particularity is the aim to provoke discussion on the call-off topic. As a result the author joins the conversation about any situation, even, issue, or problem.
Besides demonstration of your options and unique ideas, such type of paper is made to highlight your ability to collect and use arguments. So such a task is not only theoretical, but also practical for students no matter the year of studying.
You can face discursive essays in 3 types:
- papers with for and against arguments;
- essays to demonstrate your opinion about exact topic;
- texts with real propositions and problem solutions.
They differ a little, but the main goal is the same: the author should share his option and discuss topic using relevant arguments. There are several steps in making a discursive essay, which every writer must hold. You need to follow a proper structure and keep all requirements.
How to Start a Discursive Essay?
Before you start your writing, you should make several important steps. Don’t think that you can write several pages about anything you want and expect a positive mark. The discursive essay is not a simple task. If author aspires to make brilliant paper, he should follow such scheme:
1. Choose a Topic
The main advantage of the discursive essay is that it can be dedicated to any topic. But on the other hand, it is a disadvantage for a student: he must think about numerous issues and express own feelings in the right manner. There are two options for you: you may choose one topic from the list or use your own and unique one. Both options are equal in efforts and require special skills.
2. Write Outline
No matter this essay is very short, but the author should create an outline. Such blueprint contains the basic structure of your future paper and short description for each part. All types of discursive essay include the introduction, main body, and conclusion. So the structure is absolutely the same as in other academic papers. All parts in structure execute exact tasks:
- introduction announces topic and your main questions to be described in paper;
- body includes the arguments and thesis statements to discuss;
- conclusion requires from author to share his options and findings of his topic.
3. Notice 3-5 Main Ideas in Body
These arguments are your power to prove or disprove the statements in your topic. Be sure, that strong arguments allow writer feeling himself free and discuss the topic with enthusiasm. It would be great, if you have 3+ agreements for and 3+ against ideas.
4. Write the Draft of Your Essay
Having arguments for both sides, you can easily write the whole discursive essay. Follow the main structure and add all your ideas to ensure readers in your skills.
Additional tip: you can use there not only own arguments, but support them with reputable thoughts of well-known experts in the field. For instance, use primary and secondary resources to increase the power of own words.
5. Make a Conclusion
Your last statements should be absolutely unique. Use your own ideas to finish paper and express your feelings about your topic. Be sure, that with great arguments you can make great last paragraph. In addition, don’t forget to highlight the value of your paper and topic, you have shared your opinion about.
6. Proofread Your Essay
When you are excited in writing, hardly you can notice own misprints or mistakes. That’s why you need to read your paper several times to make sure it is perfect.
So writing a discursive essay is quite a hard task. The paper is small, but you need to pay attention to each sentence and check its relevance to main arguments and basic topic.
How to Write a Good Discursive Essay Using Ready-Made Examples?
You shouldn’t ignore discursive essay samples, if you aspire to create awesome paper. You really need to grasp for any chance to improve your essay, and good examples give you such opportunity. There are many samples on the Web, so just read them and use information in proper way.
Here are the most important benefits you can get from using discursive essay samples:
- observe the average structure of the discursive essay. The main structure is approximate, but every writer should follow current recommendations. Remember, that each small beer influences on your final mark;
- find out the content of main parts in structure. In general discursive writing is the same as other essays, but there are several particularities. After observing good samples you will understand such things;
- see the most common mistakes. If you understand such problems, you will be able to avoid them in your paper. Let’s be honest: it is much better to learn from the mistakes of others, than make your own failures.
No one wants to make stupid mistakes, so examples of essays will protect you from such failures. Besides, be very attentive and do not copy any borrowed material without permission and link in the reference list, because your text may not pass a plagiarism free check out.
That’s why high-quality samples of discursive essays are considered to be the best option to improve your paper. This is a great way for new, but skilled authors. In case you are not really good at writing, you should better order discursive essay ideas for topic or the whole paper. You only need to provide the author with all information about your task and wait several days. Be sure, that your professor will be excited to estimate you the highest mark!
How to Make Your Essay Perfect?
To make your paper perfect, you can follow secret tips, which professional authors use:
- use formal 3rd person speech;
- create a special map of notices to clarify own points;
- imagine they have to try another person’s shoe to collect only fair arguments;
- use good and well-known examples from real life to support arguments;
- add references to all borrowed ideas;
- finish paper at least day before the deadline to have additional time for editing.
But try to avoid such mistakes: to use over-generalization, cliches, personal examples, informal language, too emotional writing style, to insist on own correctness. It is not easy to understand how to write a discursive essay, but you can make it! Just use maximum skills and create awesome paper.
Do you need a plagiarism-free essay? We'll do it in 3 hours!
Discursive Essay Topics UK
There is another issue for students with discursive essay. Usually they have to think of something new and create a topic. Sometimes such a task requires the same amount of time which you need for writing. If you have good option in mind, then it is great. But if you feel lack of ideas, then welcome to our help. In the list below you will find TOP-15 interesting and staying fresh ideas for discursive essay:
- Should we support the death penalty?
- The power of plastic surgery: yes or no?
- Is cutting hands the only one way to dust the corruption?
- Should people develop a religion tolerance in Muslim countries?
- What do you think about the childfree movement?
- Do you agree or not with the statement: the only free cheese is in the mousetrap?
- Is the Black Square by Kazimir Malevich precious or overvalued?
- Which car company is the best in the world?
- What do you think about the marriage of convenience?
- What is the best age to allow people getting a driver’s license?
- Do you believe in same-sex romances?
- What is the best age to get married?
- Had slavery have a positive influence on world economics?
- Is it better to respond to the reason or to listen to your heart?
- What is the best country to travel?
Just pick up one topic and start making your awesome discursive essay! In case you need additional help, just ask our professional writer to make this task for you.
Our team consists of experienced essay writers, who are keen on writing any kinds of academic papers. Feel yourself free to ask them for help or simple consultation right now!
Was this helpfull?
Thanks for your feedback!
Thanks for your feedback! We'll review the article to make it better.
Prof. Keller has a Master’s degree in Literature from Oxford University. She is a skilled and experienced writer of various academic papers. Over the years, she mastered her skills and became a leading writer in Nursing, Psychology, Sociology, and Cultural Studies, among her other fields of specialization.